Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2002 22:26:09
On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:31:03AM -0800, paul beard wrote:

> Windows apps, like it or not, offer lots of functionality that is
> lost in a pure ASCII world, and the open source alternatives have
> yet to catch up. Unlikely they ever will . . . . .

How much of that "functionality" is truly useful though?

Typical of what I see people do is waste perhaps hours changing their
fonts and colors on a memo I could type and print in minutes, if not

Nothing wrong with some enhancements, but most of these "features"
have little to do with actually producing and using words and numbers.

I have worked in Microsoft-only offics and *still* had massive
troubles with document interchange, using nothing but Office.
Their own products aren't compatible with themselves sometimes.