Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2002 22:18:47
On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:37:02PM -0600, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> It's like this -- I have to keep a second machine around running
> win2k because otherwise, I can't do some parts of my job.

Yeah, the world is broken that way...

I find it hard to deal with because I won't run two machines just
to be able to send a Word document; what a waste.

If they (Microsoft) would at least follow their own standard (some Word
versions won't load one another's files, or even their own sometimes)
it would at least be easier.

Then again, making people focus on the data and words instead of how
they are formatted would go a long way toward easier document exchange,
and would also allow them to get a lot more work done.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com