Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2002 15:49:55
On Thursday, March 21, 2002, at 03:06 PM, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:37:02PM -0600, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>>
>> Yes, and it often works for simple spreadsheets.  "Often".
>>
>> I have gnumeric, abiword, wordview, catdoc, StarOffice, and
>> OpenOffice.  I use any and all of them to deal with some of the
>> documents people send me.  But there are times -- especially when
>> I have to modify the documents for other people and send them
>> back -- that I have no choice but to use Office.  (And that's why
>> I wish that vmware would work properly for me, but that's another
>> story.)
>>
>> It's like this -- I have to keep a second machine around running
>> win2k because otherwise, I can't do some parts of my job.
>
> Heh, 'rdesktop' is your friend.  At least it is if you have access to
> a Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP machine, or Windows NT 4.0 TSE
> machine.
> Even works ok from home, at least for the casual access to Office.  I
> certainly can't afford an Office license for my home machine(s)!
>
> -Andrew

	I'd check out the License for XP before running rDesktop with it.
Microsoft now wants you to have a License for the machine that is
remotely accessing the Windows XP box.  It's in the EULA.  I'd give the
paragraph and section, but I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

Ian

Of course it runs NetBSD
www.netbsd.org