Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2002 15:41:01
On Thursday, March 21, 2002, at 11:50 AM, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 03:58:10PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>>
>>> there are gnumeric, lyx, abiword, etc...
>>>
>>> and there is tex
>>
>> None of those are useful for dealing with MS Word, Excel, etc.
>> documents.
>
> gnumeric reads excel to some extent, abiword reads _some_ MS Word.

	I just wanted to add that Abiword reads a lot of Word documents.  I
had to do a Business on Paper with four other classmates.  They all used
works and word and I, of course, used Abiword.  I never had any problem
opening their documents and they had no problems opening mine.  I
believe the mix was Word 97, Works, and Word 95(?).  This was months
ago, so it is possible that Abiword's filter support has gotten even
better.  I now do most of my non-programming tasks on OS X, so I use
Appleworks.  It would be nice if Apple ported that to BSD.

Ian

Of course it runs NetBSD
www.netbsd.org