Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2002 11:55:13
David S. wrote:

> You're fighting the last war, generals.  The general-purpose "desktop"
> computer is doomed anyway, because the cost of supporting it is too
> high.  The hardware makers have been able to keep it limping along by
> cutting prices - and their own margins - but that can't go on forever.
> So having a "nice desktop environment" would be "nice", but not
> terribly significant.

Hmm, I've heard that before. Until I see what's next, I can't
believe the desktop PC is going away. Handhelds? too limited (too
small to type on or too bulky to carry around). Appliances? with
what OS and features? WebTV or i-Opener?

In the long run, of course they're doomed, to borrow from Keynes:
but how long are we talking about? 5 years? 10? 2.5? And how long
will it take for all the PCs out there to be replaced by this new
thing we don't even know about yet?

--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is
lightly greased."
		-- Kehlog Albran, "The Profit"