Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: None <>
From: paul beard <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2002 11:55:13
David S. wrote:
> You're fighting the last war, generals.  The general-purpose "desktop"
> computer is doomed anyway, because the cost of supporting it is too
> high.  The hardware makers have been able to keep it limping along by
> cutting prices - and their own margins - but that can't go on forever.
> So having a "nice desktop environment" would be "nice", but not
> terribly significant.

Hmm, I've heard that before. Until I see what's next, I can't
believe the desktop PC is going away. Handhelds? too limited (too
small to type on or too bulky to carry around). Appliances? with
what OS and features? WebTV or i-Opener?

In the long run, of course they're doomed, to borrow from Keynes:
but how long are we talking about? 5 years? 10? 2.5? And how long
will it take for all the PCs out there to be replaced by this new
thing we don't even know about yet?

Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE
Seattle WA 98115
206 529 8400

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is
lightly greased."
		-- Kehlog Albran, "The Profit"