Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2002 14:04:06
Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> wrote:

> Insert here the name of the Excel supported file export format
> that will allow me to take said exported file, and manipulate it
> on my NetBSD machine using free open source spreadsheet, then write
> it in same supported file export format to send back to the Excel
> user so he/she can continue with my work, while not losing any of
> the attributes or contents of the Excel document in the process.

I don't use windows or any of it's byproducts, so this is just a guess,
but doesn't Excel export to comma-separated list?

> Also, name the free open source software that I should use to
> accomplish the above.

If Excel does export/import comma-separated list, you have quite a
choice.  Gnumeric would be one way.

-Jan

P.S.: Yes, I know that most things that are done with Excel or something
similar go beyond what a comma-separated list can represent.  At least,
that's what I'd assume.

--
finger jschauma@netmeister.org