Subject: Re: OT: Polish now tax law
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2002 12:26:11
On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:07:17AM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> it's not funny. it's true. New Polish law says VAT must be payed from
> every software licence, including that free. if free it will be 22% of
> it's hypothetical value (ROTFL).

I've heard of things like that being threatened in the USA too.

I worked for a company that required you store your software licenses
and submit them to a committee for approval.

When I handed them the GNU and BSD licenses, they wanted a copy for each
program in the system.  I said that would be hundreds of licenses and
they would all be the same (mostly).  They said I had no reason to be
running a machine with that many programs...

They were unable to understand a license on an unpurchased program.  What
was worse, was that I had some software with no license at all, and they
refused to allow it.  I used it anyway, but it was strictly unofficial.

> USE PGP!  http://www.3miasto.net/~wojtek/pgp.txt
> I live in Poland not USA so i can protect my privacy.

...oh the irony!  :)

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com