Subject: Re: dynamic linker
To: Arto Huusko , <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/20/2002 19:06:23
No, you're not the only one who thinks that the UNIX handling of shared
libraries is less than it should be.

When I've pondered this in the past, I've been told that it's a mix of
authors (libraries or applications?) proving unwilling or unable to write
safe programs.  The NetBSD pkgsrc system takes a conservative approach to
libraries.

Of course, if one could link statically and break the library
dependancies, one's problems would go away.  I'm not sure how easy that is
to do, though.  I also don't know how big things like KDE or GNOME would
be if they didn't have shared libraries...(^&