Subject: Re: dynamic linker
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/20/2002 06:57:20
> 	text    data    bss     dec     hex     filename
> 	35299   928     1356    37583   92cf    /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so
>
> It's not huge, but it's not always running either......

in my definition of size it IS HUGE.

> > so you mean with a.out binaries
> > it's faster/better? if so why we moved to ELF?
>
> I don't know....  John Levine implies so in his book "Linkers & Loaders"

me too. a.out wasn't very good (like mapping libraries to static adresses)
but ELF's ideas is ever worse.
it's excellent format to use for linking, but not for final executables
and libraries.

> Memory: 44M Act, 6944K Inact, 1904K Wired, 180M Free, 12M Swp, 1524M Swp free
          ^^^^^^^^

this is probably good measure of how much memory does take programs
itself. i'm not sure if it's stull true for -current with UBC