Subject: Re: dynamic linker
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <>
From: Wojciech Puchar <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/20/2002 06:57:20
> 	text    data    bss     dec     hex     filename
> 	35299   928     1356    37583   92cf    /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so
> It's not huge, but it's not always running either......

in my definition of size it IS HUGE.

> > so you mean with a.out binaries
> > it's faster/better? if so why we moved to ELF?
> I don't know....  John Levine implies so in his book "Linkers & Loaders"

me too. a.out wasn't very good (like mapping libraries to static adresses)
but ELF's ideas is ever worse.
it's excellent format to use for linking, but not for final executables
and libraries.

> Memory: 44M Act, 6944K Inact, 1904K Wired, 180M Free, 12M Swp, 1524M Swp free

this is probably good measure of how much memory does take programs
itself. i'm not sure if it's stull true for -current with UBC