Subject: Re: Secure FTP server
To: Mariani, Robert \(AU - Melbourne\) <rmariani@dc.com>
From: Tomas Svensson <tsn@gbdev.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/20/2002 01:50:01
Wednesday, March 20, 2002, 12:30:06 AM, you wrote:

MRAM> Hi,
MRAM>         I am a new user and have found plenty of Howto's in regards to
MRAM> setting up a FTP server for anonomous users, but i would like to set up a
MRAM> secure FTP server that accepts a Username and Password.  Idealy this FTP
MRAM> would let me get things from it and upload stuff. I would like to use my
MRAM> local login name and password: eg Robert and password 12345.  There would be
MRAM> multiple users accessing the FTP the same way.  Any suggestions on Syntax
MRAM> for setting it up?
MRAM> Regards
MRAM> Robert

You could try the TLS/SSL additions I wrote for the normal NetBSD
ftpd, see http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2002/03/11/0000.html
which works with various popular ftp clients for several OSes.

With normal SSH port forwarding the user must have a shell account on
the server and actual data transfers will be unencrypted. TLS/SSL
FTP doesn't have these problems.

-Tomas