Subject: Re: dynamic linker
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/19/2002 23:32:44
On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 03:15:04PM +1200, Oleg Polyanski wrote:
> woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>
>  Few months ago (in October, I believe) somebody from Cygnus posted
>  in binutils mailing list a detailed report about speeding up the
>  real reason of this inefficiency is that GNU ld does not perform
>  any optimisations when processing the object code during the
>  linking which results in extremely inefficient executable binaries,
>  it can be clearly seen when loading a big C++ application linked
>  against bunch of shared libraries. The approach might be
>  incorporated into one of the forthcoming releases of binutils and
>  requires some modifications inside GNU ld. As a result, the overall
>  enormous pack of shared libraries now starts just in a moment.
>  Details can be easily found in their mailing list archive.

I thought this was a problem with C++ having to do relocations,
sometimes tens of thousands of times, when brining up a program with
complex class libraries.

The fixes so far have sped KDE up, but it's still very, very slow.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com