Subject: Re: tty driver for reverse telnet (a better explanation)
To: Scott R. Burns <Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/18/2002 14:39:47
On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 09:56:34AM -0500, Scott R. Burns wrote:
> It seems there was some ambiguity with my previous message. Maybe this
> explanation conveys it better ;-)
>
> I want to create a /dev/ttyabc entry which when open() is used on it
> causes it to telnet to terminalserver.company.com port 3001 for example.
> Much like you would say telnet terminalserver.company.com 3001 to connect
> to a modem hung off a terminal server port and offered on the terminal
> server via reverse telnet. Does that make any sense ?
>
> This allows programs written with only tty support to connect over the
> lan to devices hung off of terminal servers.

A late reply, but...

Chase Research include a damon for their terminal servers, that does
exactly this.

http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/hardware.html#chase-access

You could look at their hardware for your problem, or, you might be able
to pick up some clues from their code. They distribute source - I forget
the specific license details.

See 'IOLAND - UNIX - Unix source code', here:

http://www.perle.com/downloads/trueport.html

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me