Subject: Re: tty driver for reverse telnet (a better explanation)
To: Scott R. Burns <Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com>
From: David Maxwell <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/18/2002 14:39:47
On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 09:56:34AM -0500, Scott R. Burns wrote:
> It seems there was some ambiguity with my previous message. Maybe this
> explanation conveys it better ;-)
> I want to create a /dev/ttyabc entry which when open() is used on it
> causes it to telnet to port 3001 for example.
> Much like you would say telnet 3001 to connect
> to a modem hung off a terminal server port and offered on the terminal
> server via reverse telnet. Does that make any sense ?
> This allows programs written with only tty support to connect over the
> lan to devices hung off of terminal servers.

A late reply, but...

Chase Research include a damon for their terminal servers, that does
exactly this.

You could look at their hardware for your problem, or, you might be able
to pick up some clues from their code. They distribute source - I forget
the specific license details.

See 'IOLAND - UNIX - Unix source code', here:

David Maxwell,| -->
Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me