Subject: Re: A few mt(1) questions
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/18/2002 15:03:55
Just like to throw in 2p here. Two companies back, they were backing up
on a Novell system, using the wrong version of the software, which means
it flatly refused to restore anything when the raid had died.

I plugged the DAT into NetBSD, read the tapes raw, and sat down to work
out the layout the software had used on tape, the stream switch tags,
start and stops etc.

Had software compression been turned on, I would have had no chance in
finding what particular compression algorithm they had used etc, and it
would have gone from a 2 day task to a X weeks.

Rather a special case, but it did save us (and yes, the Novell admin had
quit some months before).

Lund

--
Jorgen "Lord" Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>