Subject: Re: DNS lookup for internal adresses
To: henry nelson <>
From: None <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/15/2002 00:02:39
On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 08:30:41PM +0900, henry nelson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 09:37:04PM -0800, Michael K. Sanders wrote:
> > You want to do this for a non-RFC1918 block, right?  It's quite possible
> > and done frequently, your provider just has to be willing to set it up.
> > See RFC 2317 on Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation:
> >

> Thanks for this great reference. I think it will make my situation better
> than it has been, but it won't work for me as a "cookbook" solution (which I
> confess I need), since the examples there are of small "blocks", whereas I
> have a discontinuous group of a dozen IPs spread from 17. to 196. Am I just

Not a problem. Here's the relevant part of my zone file (externally visible
server for

209-42-217-33   IN	PTR	tome
209-42-217-34	IN	PTR	stone
209-42-217-35	IN	PTR	ducttape
209-42-217-46   IN	PTR	tesseract

If I'm not mistaken, you'd just need something like that on your end
and the matching CNAMEs on your ISP's end.
Kevin P. Neal

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"