Subject: Re: AIC-7899 & RAIDFrame SCSI problems in 1.5.2
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/13/2002 15:25:26
[ On Wednesday, March 13, 2002 at 11:46:21 (-0500), Colin Surprenant wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: AIC-7899 & RAIDFrame SCSI problems in 1.5.2
>

> [ On Tuesday, March 12, 2002 13:07 Greg A. Woods wrote: ]
>
> > You don't say anything about what drives you're using, and I don't
> > remember if you reported it last time or not.  I'm assuming the problems
> > with the -current ahc driver only affects it when true Ultra-160 (LVD)
> > drives are attached.  With 1.5.2 you won't even be getting more than
> > 80MB/s (40MHz@16bit) attachments regardless of the drive.
>
> I'm using two U160 18GB Seagate ST318305LC (Cheetah 10k).

Thanks for the info!  (I'm using the same basic drives I think, but the
9GB ST39205LW models.)

I didn't really expect much different news w.r.t. the 1.5.2 driver of
course.

> To tell you the truth, I have no idea and I am not familiar with
> hot-pluggable
> technologies . I just know they are "hot-pluggable" per Dell literature:
> "six 1-inch, internal, hot-pluggable Ultra3 SCSI hard drive bays".
> (Dell Poweredge 1500SC tech spec. I haven't found more precise
> information  about the hot-pluggable bays on Dell web site).

I don't think the Dell bays have SCSI switches on them, but they should
be at least as good as SCA in terms of powering down the drive
electronics before disconnecting the data lines.

--
								Greg A. Woods