Subject: Re: Q: Blind installation on DEC 3000 m300
To: Christian Lavoie <christian.lavoie@mail.mcgill.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/13/2002 08:52:22
On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 06:14:26PM -0500, Christian Lavoie wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 March 2002 17:50, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > Well, then I can't see what's missing.
>
> Welcome to the club! ;)
>
> > I have no way to see what's
> > happening on the console ?
>
> Nothing that comes to my mind. I don't have the
> dec3000-m300-serial-port-to-i386-serial-port wire to emulate a serial console
> (nor do I have the said console) and I don't have that mysterious
> experimental framebuffer-supporting kernel for my machines.
>
> > To log in you can try a '/usr/bin/sshd' in /etc/rc.local
>
> Not much, from what I can see. nmap'ing still shows nothing on the ports.
> ssh'ing from one of the linux boxen gives me:
>
> ssh: connect to address 192.168.0.4 port 22: Connection refused
>
> Like it gave me yesterday =(
>
> Then again, it's not configured, so I don't expect it to have the primes and
> server key and all of that that it needs, now do I?

Yes, you're rigth. /etc/rc.d/sshd should take care of it ...
Did you wait long enouth ? sshd is started before inetd, and sshd takes some
time the firt time it's started, to generate the keys.

Another thing you can try is change /etc/rc:
for _rc_elem in $files; do
        run_rc_script $_rc_elem start
done

for _rc_elem in $files; do
	echo $_rc_elem >> /tmp/log
        run_rc_script $_rc_elem start >> /tmp/log
done

to try to see where it hangs