Subject: Re: DNS lookup for internal adresses
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/13/2002 06:42:54
Hi !

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> Is it possible to use bind to do reverse lookups for small nets like
> 192.168.192.0/27 and similar? Where my ISP does normal reverse for
> the normal IP block, and I just want my DNS to do reverse for my small
> chunk of the block?

Yes! In todays classless networking, this is exactly what you have to do, and
i also configured such a DNS thing, which was checked by RIPE afterwards and
found to be okay. The trick is: Just create a zone for every IP address. It
is evil with a /25 network, /27 is also lots of files, but this is the only
way to just resolve single addresses.

So create a zone entry in named.conf for the zone

55.192.168.192.in-addr.arpa

and for this "zone", create a zone table containing

55.192.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	IN	PTR	blah.junk.com.

(ow something like this...)

Looks strange, but is the official way to implement it.

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/    Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD IRIX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX