Subject: Re: DNS lookup for internal adresses
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/2002 21:08:04
On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:33:10PM +0000, Andrew Basterfield wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:18:34 +0100
> David TAILLANDIER <> wrote:
> > Then:
> > How can I tell the NetBSD box to use DNS reverse lookup only for
> > "real" internet adresses ?
> > Not for or (or what I want in fact because
> > we have some other LANs connected via 'vtun').
> >
> > Or:
> > where can I find any documentation because it seems to be very hard to
> > find something written about NetBSD (or I'm too dumb to find it).
> The best solution to this problem is to run a local DNS on the LAN which
> is authoritive for (forward and reverse lookups) and
> forwards all other traffic to the DNS of your ISP, with a cache so you get
> faster lookups. I use bind to do this, but there are probably better
> (simpler) DNS servers capable of this.

Is it possible to use bind to do reverse lookups for small nets like and similar? Where my ISP does normal reverse for
the normal IP block, and I just want my DNS to do reverse for my small
chunk of the block?
Kevin P. Neal

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"