Subject: Re: DNS lookup for internal adresses
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/2002 21:08:04
On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:33:10PM +0000, Andrew Basterfield wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:18:34 +0100
> David TAILLANDIER <david.taillandier@domainename.com> wrote:
>
> > Then:
> > How can I tell the NetBSD box to use DNS reverse lookup only for
> > "real" internet adresses ?
> > Not for 192.168.0.0/24 or 10.0.0.0/8 (or what I want in fact because
> > we have some other LANs connected via 'vtun').
> >
> > Or:
> > where can I find any documentation because it seems to be very hard to
> > find something written about NetBSD (or I'm too dumb to find it).

> The best solution to this problem is to run a local DNS on the LAN which
> is authoritive for 192.168.0.0/16 (forward and reverse lookups) and
> forwards all other traffic to the DNS of your ISP, with a cache so you get
> faster lookups. I use bind to do this, but there are probably better
> (simpler) DNS servers capable of this.

Is it possible to use bind to do reverse lookups for small nets like
192.168.192.0/27 and similar? Where my ISP does normal reverse for
the normal IP block, and I just want my DNS to do reverse for my small
chunk of the block?

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"