Subject: Re: AIC-7899 & RAIDFrame SCSI problems in 1.5.2
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/2002 21:24:30
On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 02:20:05PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> It not only doesn't do Ultra-160 mode -- it doesn't work well at all
> with some Ultra-160 drives, as I and others have shown.

It's not that bad. I have seen 3 reports of problems, but
also a large number of successful uses (I use it on three
machines with 789x controllers without a hitch).

> There are also an almost uncountable number of fixes and other
> improvements to the driver that are not related to Ultra-160 mode.  The
> FreeBSD driver has evolved enormously in the past year, even on their
> release branch.  The diffs are huge and cut through large portions of
> the code.

Actually, the driver in FreeBSD hasn't had any serious commits in
6 months now. But sure, we need to update ours. The main problem
will always be that we never got any docs for the thing, even
though we begged Adaptec. Porting the newer version will help
there, since it'll make pulling over fixes a lot easier.

> IIRC you told me it would take you about two weeks to do a re-port.  How
> long do you think it would take someone to do if you were only able to
> give them whatever notes you have from the last port?

I don't have any time at the moment to do this. I do not have any
notes from the last port, unfortunately. But, they would be
mostly useless anyway. Anyone who wants to port the new version can
look at aix7xxx_$OS.c, where $OS is FreeBSD, Linux, or also
OpenBSD now I think (I believe there is an OpenBSD backend now).

The effort would be to get to know scsipi(9) a little, it should not
be much work. But I won't be doing it anytime soon.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/