Subject: Re: AIC-7899 & RAIDFrame SCSI problems in 1.5.2
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/2002 14:20:05
[ On Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 19:10:31 (+0100), Frank van der Linden wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: AIC-7899 & RAIDFrame SCSI problems in 1.5.2
>
> Not true. The -current driver is indeed a port of an older version of the
> FreeBSD driver, but it works fine with 789x chips. The only thing it
> doesn't do is Ultra-160 mode.

It not only doesn't do Ultra-160 mode -- it doesn't work well at all
with some Ultra-160 drives, as I and others have shown.

There are also an almost uncountable number of fixes and other
improvements to the driver that are not related to Ultra-160 mode.  The
FreeBSD driver has evolved enormously in the past year, even on their
release branch.  The diffs are huge and cut through large portions of
the code.

> For that a newer version need to be
> ported.  This shouldn't be too hard, since the driver was reshuffled
> to have OS-specific backends. Someone needs to just do it.

IIRC you told me it would take you about two weeks to do a re-port.  How
long do you think it would take someone to do if you were only able to
give them whatever notes you have from the last port?

--
								Greg A. Woods