Subject: Re: improving ssh performance on sun4m systems
To: None <>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/11/2002 13:30:24
On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 04:38:30PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:

> > I installed that package, and on an SS5/110 microSPARC machine,
> > this is what it says:
> >
> > -mcpu=supersparc
> >
> > This machine is not a supersparc machine.
> 	My athlong is not a pentium pro machine, but -march=pentiumpro is
> 	the best option that gcc has. If you know of a better cpu option
> 	than supersparc for microSPARC I'd be very happy to update
> 	cpuflags to match.

The Athlon is a later generaltion clone of the Intel, and even
borrowed some ideas from the PPro.  A better analogy might be running
-march=pentiumpro on a Pentium or 486, which can slow performance or
even break code.

Anyway, my comment was incomplete: I meant to ask if the supersparc
differed in instruction set at all, and would the optimizations
be good for a microsparc.

So far the changes in code I've looked at are only in instruction

Maybe the names of the CPUs are basically meaningless in this context,
and microSPARC just lacks cache and/or other internal optimizations.