Subject: Re: Disk partition calculations
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/11/2002 18:00:14
On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 09:10:27PM -0800, John Clark wrote:
> Ok, so I got my NetBSD kernel up on my XScale processor, and
> attached disk. At this point, it was not obvious from the man page
> for disklabel, what niffty tool there may be which just basically asks
> the questions 1) how many partitions, and 2) what size in MB,
> rather than being confronted with disktab sectors/cylinders (who
> remembers when cylinders where important...) etc.
>
> I did come up with a partition table, but the question still remains,
> is there a NetBSD tool, or set of tools to make this sort of thing

I just went through the same thing.  Easiest way I found was to put in
the install floppies and let sysinst do the work.  For some reason it
failed to run newfs (because not mounted?), which actually was fine by
me.  I got a great disklabel prepared with minimal work, albeit a bit
round-about.

henry nelson