Subject: Problems with ESS1879 Audio Chipset on a Hitachi 7580 laptop
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/10/2002 08:30:13
Does anyone know any reason why the ESS1879 chipset hasn't been officially
supported?

Is there a problem with making it work under NetBSD?

I've attempted to make it work under SuSE Linux 7.3, and it works, somewhat.
During an Audio test, it repeats the first 500 msec of the tune, then starts
repeating, inceasently. If I start the test again, it unwedges itself and
muddles it's way through the little tune, but sounds really bad.

I've tried different IRQ's, DMA channels, and I/O settings, all with the same
results.

Does anyone have a clue as to why it's behaving this way?

Gerry Simmons
gerry@darykon.cet.com