Subject: Re: DNS lookup for internal adresses
From: Andrew Basterfield <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/07/2002 22:33:10
On Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:18:34 +0100
David TAILLANDIER <> wrote:

> Then:
> How can I tell the NetBSD box to use DNS reverse lookup only for
> "real" internet adresses ?
> Not for or (or what I want in fact because
> we have some other LANs connected via 'vtun').
> Or:
> where can I find any documentation because it seems to be very hard to
> find something written about NetBSD (or I'm too dumb to find it).

I have a similar setup to yours, I don't know about the reverse lookup
issue, it is probably trying to find the canonical name of the host you
are pinging.

The best solution to this problem is to run a local DNS on the LAN which
is authoritive for (forward and reverse lookups) and
forwards all other traffic to the DNS of your ISP, with a cache so you get
faster lookups. I use bind to do this, but there are probably better
(simpler) DNS servers capable of this.

Should you want to use bind, the Linux DNS-HOWTO makes interesting

sparc sun4c stuff :
personal email    : bob at lostgeneration dot freeserve dot co dot uk