Subject: Re: ssh hangs for a while waiting to connect
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Pretzer <arador@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/06/2002 16:38:05
* Andrew Basterfield [06.03.2002]:

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:17:42 -0500
> Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com> wrote:
>
> > What is your CPU usage on the machine you are logging into like?
> > I'm willing to bet the retries are the client being impatient.
>
> 100% for 3 minutes, even if I abort the connection with ctrl-c from the
> client the daemon doesn't notice and will continue to chew up processor
> until it's finished doing whatever it is doing. Sniffing the LAN shows no
> activity in this time.

Do you have the file /etc/moduli on the box where it takes so long
to log in? If so, move it away temporarily and try ssh again.
I noticed a significant speedup with my Pentium 166 - I think the
sparc will benefit too.
On the other hand - I don't know if ssh is still secure without that
file.

regards, Matthias