Subject: Re: mk.conf options
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/06/2002 12:18:25
On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 02:58:42PM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> > > USE_OPENSSL_VERSION=0x0090602fL
> >
> > Is this documented anywhere?
>
> It's written in pkgsrc/security/openssl/Makefile.  Traditionally, *BSD
> people seem to have thought that makefiles and sources are part of
> document. :-)
>
> > I've often been frustrated by learning (usually by some mailing list
> > post) of options that can be used in mk.conf, but not being able to find
> > them documented anywhere.  This frustrates me because I wonder how many
> > other features/options I'm missing out on simply due to not knowing
> > about them.
>
> Pkgsrc definitely lacks an interface to show such options to users.
> Autoconf does better in this point.

pkgsrc and autoconf are two (very) different beasts.

The user settable options for packages are described in
pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk.

USE_OPENSSL_VERSION is actually defined in pkgsrc/secruity/openssl/buildlink.mk

# Check for a usable installed version of OpenSSL.  Version must be greater
# than 0.9.5a.  If a usable version isn't present, then use the pkgsrc
# OpenSSL package.
#
.include "../../mk/bsd.prefs.mk"
USE_OPENSSL_VERSION?=           ${OPENSSL_VERSION_095A}

# Associate OpenSSL dependency with version number.
.if ${USE_OPENSSL_VERSION} == ${OPENSSL_VERSION_095A}
BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.openssl=      {openssl-0.9.5a,openssl>=0.9.6}
.else
BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.openssl=      openssl>=0.9.6
.endif

So USE_OPENSSL_VERSION is part of the buildlink functionality, and
is meant to be used by package creators to specify a specific
version of openssl to use in a package.

Regards,
Alistair