Subject: Re: mk.conf options (was Re: ssh hangs for a while waiting to connect)
To: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/06/2002 07:57:56
Hi !

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Jim Breton wrote:
> > USE_OPENSSL_VERSION=0x0090602fL
>
> Is this documented anywhere?

I didn't see it in any docs (but i didn't read any :), but you can see it in
several Makefiles in the pkgsrc. You can either set it as environment prior
doing the build, or put it in /etc/mk.conf to use it in every future build.

> I've often been frustrated by learning (usually by some mailing list
> post) of options that can be used in mk.conf, but not being able to find
> them documented anywhere.  This frustrates me because I wonder how many
> other features/options I'm missing out on simply due to not knowing
> about them.

I recently found lots of them in some google search, and some others came from
reading the Makefiles.

> I have seen the mk.conf(5) and packages(7) man pages.  Where else should
> we be looking to find all these?  I understand that each package may
> have options in the Makefile, but fwiw, I don't see this particular
> option mentioned in pkgsrc/security/openssh/Makefile.

Hm. Due to this being package dependent stuff, the best place would be in
pkgsrc itself, maybe some kind of "make info" could output the possible
settings for this particulat package. But for those zillions of packages it
would take quite a lot of time to implement this. Just an idea... This could
take some new file (e.g. /usr/pkgsrc/security/openssh/OPTIONS) or so, which
could just being printed out if present, or, if it doesn't exist, a message
like "no known options for this package" could be printed.

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/    Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD IRIX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX