Subject: Re: ssh hangs for a while waiting to connect
To: Johan A. van Zanten <johan@ewranglers.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/06/2002 06:30:38
Hi !

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Johan A. van Zanten wrote:
> >I'm trying to connect to my NetBSD/sparc 1.5.2 machine from a linux box
> >running OpenSSH 3.02p1. It will connect but there is a delay of several
> >minutes before the password prompt.
>
> I've seen similar delays. They only appear when using v2 of the SSH
> protocol. v1 is fast. My initial theory is that the key sizes for v2 are
> so large they outstrip the computational abilities of the slower
> microSPARC (sun4m) CPUs.  I'd love come to a different conclusion and have
> a more workable ssh v2 on my NetBSD machines.

Hey, the solution is easy:

[michael@calchas michael]$ /usr/sbin/pkg_info |grep openss
openssl-0.9.6nb2    Secure Socket Layer and cryptographic library
openssh-3.0.2.1     Open Source Secure shell client and server (remote login program)

This works very fine. Just delete the files in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, which
belong to the onboard OpenSSH, copy the start/stop-file to /etc/rc.d, and
everything works ok. For the newer OpenSSH, you need the following line in
your /etc/mk.conf to get used by your builds:

USE_OPENSSL_VERSION=0x0090602fL

Since i upgraded, i never had problems any more. You can even enable S/Key in
this, but you have to patch one source file then. Done here also.

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/    Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD IRIX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX