Subject: Re: ssh hangs for a while waiting to connect
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/05/2002 22:16:34
On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:47:16PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > I see a long delay when running ssh to a 486/50 I have lying
> > around, but this sounds worse.
>
> I see the same symptoms. I can ssh (protocol v2 used) to a 486/50, and it
> will take quite some time. I can ssh (protocol v2 too) to a LX or an SS2
> and it will take at least double the time (if not more).
>
> No IPv6 involved, no DNS issues.
>
> I always thought this would be due to some assembly stubs used in the i386
> version of ssh/libssl.

I've seen the same thing: very, very long logins with ssh2.

I don't need tcpdump to see it's eating CPU for nearly a minute.  This is
with 768bit keys, which I swear just a few weeks ago was only taking a
few seconds, but I could be imagining things.

In any case, I definitely see it as just the CPU taking a long time in
my case, though I feel like it's much too long.  An SS5/170 isn't
a screamer, but it should be able to handle this faster.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com