Subject: Re: ssh hangs for a while waiting to connect
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Basterfield <list@lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/05/2002 22:33:54
On Tue, 05 Mar 2002 16:59:06 -0500
"Johan A. van Zanten" <johan@ewranglers.com> wrote:

> I've seen similar delays. They only appear when using v2 of the SSH
> protocol. v1 is fast. My initial theory is that the key sizes for v2 are
> so large they outstrip the computational abilities of the slower
> microSPARC (sun4m) CPUs.  I'd love come to a different conclusion and
> have a more workable ssh v2 on my NetBSD machines.

Err... I'm using an SS2 so that's another league behind sun4m.

I get a delay of approx 3 seconds before password prompt on an
AMD486DX4/100 using SSH2, according to some rough measurements I did a
while back decoding mp3s the SS2 lags the 486 by approximately 30% (and
that was with inline assember on the 486 and none on the SS2).

I'm not saying this is accurate or authoritive but it doesn't account for
100fold performance gap between the two.

I can ssh from the NetBSD/sparc machine to the same machine's IPv4 DNS
name using SSH2 and get a password prompt in approx 5 seconds. This is
around the timeframe I would be expecting, based on the response time of
the 486.

I'm not at all convinced it is purely a performace issue, it just doesn't
add up.

-Andrew

--
sparc sun4c stuff : http://www.lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk/sparc
personal email    : bob at lostgeneration dot freeserve dot co dot uk