Subject: Re: Inputting non-US-ASCII characters with standard 101 keyboard in X
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/04/2002 13:06:38
    Date:        Mon, 04 Mar 2002 00:35:47 -0500
    From:        "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@research.att.com>

  | But exmh doesn't handle such inputs, so I have to cut and paste...

For exmh, just define some key as the compose key (composechar) in
bindings/simple edit and then type that key, followed by pair of
characters (if composechar were X, which it obviously won't be, but
usually one of the random useless keys sprinkled around most keyboards)
then
	X e '  generates =E9
	X a e  generates =E6
	X s s  generates =DF

(etc) - the key combinations are mostly obvious (just use : for umlaut).

exmh is one of the easiest systems to generate anything in 8859-1 (not
yet sure about generating other charsets, eventually I'd like to be able
to type utf-8 using something almost as easy).

kre