Subject: Re: Inputting non-US-ASCII characters with standard 101 keyboard in X
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Richards <richards+netbsd@CS.Princeton.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/04/2002 00:48:17
On Sun, 03 Mar 2002, Brian de Alwis wrote:

> A stupid question I'm sure, but what must I do to enter non-US-ASCII
> characters in X? For example, I'd like to to enter an &eacute; into
> an xterm.  I've tried to figure this out, but haven't had much luck.
> Is there an Alt-Gr key setting? My only workaround so far is to use
> the cut-buffer having selected the appropriate character from a pre-written
> file. That is somewhat less than optimal!

The syntax here is for XF86 4.x, but something similar should work for
3.x.  The important option is the one at the end :-).

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc101"
	Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
	Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:switch"
EndSection

This binds Right_Alt to Mode_switch and Shift+Right_Alt to Multi_key
(i.e. compose).  Then, to type &eacute; for example, press
Shift+Right_Alt, then ', then e.

--
CDR