Subject: Need advice on troubleshooting wireless link
To: None <>
From: Michael D. Spence <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/03/2002 22:02:30
I've installed an Orinoco Gold card and am using the wi driver.
This is on a fairly old machine and I get PCI conflicts from the
BIOS but NetBSD seems ok with this after I set the various PCI-related
fixup options.  wi0 is detected and started, but I'm getting
"wi0 timeout" in dmesg.

wiconfig can get the MAC and serial number.  ifconfig wi0 up and down
do the expected things with the card's lights.

The companion card on a Windows NT system says it sees the NetBSD card
and reports the proper MAC.  I've let a link test run for several hours
with no errors to speak of (the systems are about a foot and a half apart,
so this is what I'd expected).  So I'm sure that the cards work and
that they can communicate.

But when I ping the NT system, ping eventually reports that the system is
down.  tcpdump -i wi0 shows nothing at all.  And I get more "wi0 timeout"
messages in the log.

The NetBSD system acts as a router for several computers on an Ethernet and
provides ipfiltering and NAT for a cable modem.  I want it to do the same
for the system connected via the wireless interface.

pentium166# route show
Routing tables

Destination      Gateway            Flags
default         UG       link#1             U
ool-182e30-1.dyn 0:5:9a:d7:0:54     UH
ool-182e35-235.d          UGH
loopback          UG
localhost          UH
mdsi             0:a0:24:91:98:24   UH
os2nt            0:60:97:1b:a8:f0   UH
mproc            0:50:da:10:51:d5   UH      link#20            U

"route get" says this (Should the "expire" value be negative?):

   route to:
 local addr:
  interface: wi0
 recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu
       0         0         0         0         0         0
1500      -186

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to look next?

Michael D. Spence
Mockingbird Data Systems, Inc.