Subject: Re: (1.5.2) KDE / konqueror problems: ssl, cd player, printing
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/02/2002 20:48:17
A week or so ago, I reported three problems with KDE 2.2.2 under
NetBSD 1.5.2 (i386), of which two were solved almost immediately with
the kind help of Nick Hudson (thanks!).

The remaining problem consisted in no sound coming to my headphones
from "kscd" despite evidence that the CD player was being commanded
(distinctive track movement sounds, flashing light at correct times)
and track information read (and even track titles displayed!), and
additional evidence that the sound stuff in general was functional
(both kcontrol sound test and kmidi demo tracks were audible).

Well, I am somewhat embarrassed to report that the problem was a missing
cable inside the computer, to connect the motherboard's onboard "sound
card" to the CD/ROM drive.  I didn't even know that such a cable existed
until I happened to open up a machine at work, saw a cable I'd never seen
before, and realized that something might be missing in my home machine.
Lest you all think that I'm a complete airhead, I should say in my defense
that the CD/ROM drive was purchased secondhand with no documentation,
and I had never connected one up before!

Anyway, an appropriate cable was located and installed, and now,
miracle of miracles, I can hear the output of the CD player.  Thanks
to everyone who had suggestions; the moral support is appreciated even
when I end up finding the answer myself!

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Analyst, IITS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne@alcor.concordia.ca                                        +1 514 848-7606