Subject: apm and travelling between networks with a ThinkPad
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/28/2002 22:29:39
I have a nice ThinkPad T22, well-endowed RAMwise, and 2/3 of the disk
devoted to NetBSD. (The remainder is Win2K, which I occasionally use at
work for messing with torturials that for some reason always are to be done
on Windows, although the software will eventually run on our AIX or Solaris
servers.)

I carry the machine with me when I go home, and here I have a nice little
net which I put it on. I have a neato dock in both places.

I have been playing with newbtconf to create dual configurations for home
and work, however, it seems that this requires a reboot everytime. So I
have been playing in /etc/apm, and written some suspend and resume scripts,
that try to ping each router IP to see which net it is on, and then sets
things accordingly.

This way, I can reduce rebooting to the times I have to start Win2K.
(Which, as an aside, often requires three or four reboots, before it will
actually boot. Weird OS.) Hopefully it will result in better overall
uptimes for the machine. :-)

However, I wonder whether all this net-upping and downing and changing of
hostname will adversely affect stuff running on the machine, such as
Apache, Tomcat, Postgres, OpenLDAP? Would it be better to use both (static)
IP-addresses on both networks, one being just an alias?

Are there any recommended ways to do this? Or should I find out what works
and write some kind of HOW-TO?

BTW, in case there are other T22 NetBSDers: I have had problems with the
Logitech scroll mouse on my dock at work which would behave erratically
after waking up from sleep. Permanently enabling the red thingy
(whatsitsname?) in the BIOS seems to have helped.

-Lasse