Subject: Re: IP: Wal-Mart PC, Operating System *Not* Included: $399 (fwd)
To: David Lawler Christiansen \\\(NT\\\) <DAVIDCHR@windows.microsoft.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/27/2002 17:27:58
David Lawler Christiansen \(NT\) said:

>However, I don't think that's what you're so ticked about.  I think
>you're mad because we're popular.  Or because we're successful.  The
>phrase "I can't get away from them... They're everywhere" is usually a
>tipoff to this viewpoint.   Along these lines, it seems to me that
>you've chosen a banner to follow, and everyone who doesn't conform to
>your zealotry is instantly worthy of your venom (it's "us or them").  If
>this is the case, then accept my pity with the suggestion to be careful
>for what you wish.  IMHO (with boldface on the *H*), a space with only
>one set of opinions gets boring and decadent very, very quickly.

Back around 1977-1980, before there was an IBMPC or MSDOS, there was a
lot going on in the world of CPM. At that time, one particular Microsoft
product was a FORTRAN compiler for CPM. Since it was reasonably price,
a lot of programmers bought it. Unfortunately, ANSI F77 compatibility was
broken and they added non-standard extensions. Users complained and Microsoft
refused to fix the problem. The letters columns of computer magazines were
full of letters complaining about Microsoft.

Their behavior hasn't changed. I wouldn't buy anything from them then and I
won't now.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com