Subject: RE: IP: Wal-Mart PC, Operating System *Not* Included: $399 (fwd)
To: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: David Lawler Christiansen \(NT\) <DAVIDCHR@windows.microsoft.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/25/2002 14:10:02
Below:

-----
This message or posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.
Any opinions or policies stated in this mail are my opinions and do not
necessarily constitute those of my employer.
Harvesting of this address for purposes of bulk email (including "spam")
is prohibited without my expressed prior request.  I retaliate viciously
against spammers and spam sites.

I dunno if such legislation is, or is not, a good idea, since I haven't
read much on it.  However, it seems like a dumb idea to be able to sue a
software company for producing software with bugs.  Last time I checked,
almost all software had bugs. =20

If NetBSD had a bug that caused a business to lose billions of dollars
because someone slipped in a change to the source with an unintended
side-effect that nobody caught, who would get sued?  The person who made
the change?  Or the dozens of people who reviewed it?  I should point
out that even the BSD-variants still get and fix security bugs, which
are the most costly bugs to exploit in the wild. =20

Oh, and can you then sue the company if it produced a fix you just
didn't happen to download?  Think about it. =20

-Dave