Subject: Ports -> make upgrade
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/25/2002 22:44:52
Hi,
I recently discovered the make update option, which I find confusing;
When I use it, it starts with deinstalling the current installed package before
executing a make install command. IMHO this could be improved, and I don't know
why it hasn't been implemented this way before.
Let me explain:
Suppose you want to upgrade say tcsh, you type make upgrade in the pkgsrc/shells
/tsch dir and it starts deleting your current installed tcsh. Now imagine that
the newly port can't be fetched, or even build correctly. That leaves you with
no tsch installed, right?
So why not change it to do a plain make first, and continue whenever that
succesfully completes? After a full make, a make install shouldn't cause any
hard trouble.
Please enlighten me if I'm missing something here. ;-)
Gr,
--
Axel Scheepers
UNIX System Administrator

email: axel@axel.truedestiny.net
       ascheepers@vianetworks.nl
http://axel.truedestiny.net/~axel
Bugs, pl. n.:
	Small living things that small living boys throw on small
living girls.