Subject: Re: problems with pkgsrc ...
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mail.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/25/2002 10:45:41
On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 06:23:04PM +1100, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> I've just installed a 1.5.2 machine and unpacked and installed the
> pkgsrc tree (an oldish one). In order to make it current I then supped
> it (which took about 7 hours) ...
>
> anyway, have been trying to make packages, but I'm a little concerned
> by the fact that the machine doesn't seem to be appling any patches.
>
> I tried to make samba and its dependancies and got messages like the
> following:
>
> |===> Patching for readline-4.2
> |===> Applying NetBSD patches for readline-4.2
> |**************************************
> |Ignoring unknown patch file: /usr/pkgsrc/devel/readline/patches/patch-aa
> |**************************************
> |**************************************
> |Ignoring unknown patch file: /usr/pkgsrc/devel/readline/patches/patch-ad
> |**************************************
> |**************************************
> |Ignoring unknown patch file: /usr/pkgsrc/devel/readline/patches/patch-ah
> |**************************************
> |**************************************
> |Ignoring unknown patch file: /usr/pkgsrc/devel/readline/patches/patch-ai
> |**************************************
> |**************************************
> |Ignoring unknown patch file: /usr/pkgsrc/devel/readline/patches/patch-ak
> |**************************************
>
> ... looking back over packages I've made, none of them appear to
> have been patched at all ...
>
> this machine has bascially all of the binary sets except games and
> the X11 stuff ...
>
> can anyone see what's wrong?

pkgsrc uses checksums or digests to record, in a separate file
called distinfo, which patches exist and should be applied. This
helps in situations where a new pkgsrc entry was extracted over an
old one, and patch files from the previous pkgsrc entry still exist.

Instead of just blindly applying all the patches which exist in
the patches/ subdirectory, the infrastructure will only apply the
patches which are appropriate to the current version of the package,
taking the "current patch" information from the distinfo file.
However, pkgsrc will also warn about the existence of the other
"unknown" patch files in the patches/ subdirectory, which is what
you're seeing above.

Regards,
Alistair