Subject: Re: ...8+ gb disk partitioning...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/23/2002 09:40:46
On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 03:38:50AM +0100, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> tim lupfer writes:
>
> ># fdisk wd1
> >fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
> >
> >is this anything that I should be concerned about?
>
> fdisk manages dos mbr partition tables, you don't need any, especially
> not if you don't want to boot from it.
> since you said you labeled the disk before running fdisk, then the
> disklabel is at sector 0 and there's simply no dos/bios-style mbr
> there, which is the canonical way to set up a non-boot disk.

Unless you EVER want to read anything off the disk on any other
x86 based OS - of have it tell you what you used the disk for.
In which case you really to 'waste' 31 sectors by giving the
disk a mbr.

Mind you I expect netbsd-sparc will barf badly at seeing an mbr!
(Maybe netbsd ought to be able to read any disk from a platform
it supports, and have a platform dependant default disk format
for new disks?)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk