Subject: Re: (1.5.2) KDE / konqueror problems: ssl, cd player, printing
To: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/23/2002 09:26:56
On Saturday 23 February 2002 12:35 am, Anne Bennett wrote:
> Does anyone have KDE 2.2.2 (especially Konqueror) working properly
under
> NetBSD 1.5.2?  Things that don't work for me:
>
>   - https URLs in Konqueror: a window is popped up claiming that the
>     certificate "failed the authenticity test", when I know that the
>     certificate is perfectly valid.  The "spewing output" shows :

[error message deleted]

>     Trying to "continue" and "accept forever" continues, but does not
>     seem to store the certificate, so the errors keep popping up (so
>     to speak!).

This is known, but no-one has had time to look into it yet.

>   - I can't hear the output of the CD player (kscd).  Its control
>     panel pops up, it clearly reads the CD and shows the tracks, and
>     playing or switching tracks cause the CD drive to show activity.
>     I can even get the track titles from the public database.  No
>     sound to my headphones, though.  I *can* hear the "sound test"
>     when I click on the "kcontrol / Sound / Sound Server / Test Sound"
>     button (after starting artsd), and I can hear a .wav file played
>     with "artsplay" (well, sometimes; other times, artsd dumps core).

I also get this. No idea how to fix it.

>   - I can't print; I get complaints that "kdeprintd" cannot be
>     contacted, no matter whether I try printing with an external
>     program (lpr -Pps), or with the "lpd" or "lpr" options.  (At least
>     I can print to a file).

This is related (I think) to a problem in the 1.5.2 toolchain. It
doesn't exist if you compile KDE with 1.5.3_ALPHA or -current.

>   * Would it make more sense to try version 1?

I doubt it.

>   * Is there a better web browser out there than konqueror?  (I use
>     lynx quite often, but some pages do need the tables and graphics;
>     I appreciate the per-site configurability of Konqueror, especially
>     for security-sensitive items.)

konqueror is a very good browser modulo the problems with ssl
connections. I'll take a look at this this week.

Nick