Subject: (1.5.2) KDE / konqueror problems: ssl, cd player, printing
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2002 19:35:01
Does anyone have KDE 2.2.2 (especially Konqueror) working properly under
NetBSD 1.5.2?  Things that don't work for me:

  - https URLs in Konqueror: a window is popped up claiming that the
    certificate "failed the authenticity test", when I know that the
    certificate is perfectly valid.  The "spewing output" shows :

        kdecore (KLibLoader): library libkded_kssld.la not found under
                 'module' but under 'lib'
        kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: library=libkded_kssld:
            file=/big/netbsd/netbsd-1.5.2/LIVE-X11R6/lib/libkded_kssld.la:
            /big/netbsd/netbsd-1.5.2/LIVE-X11R6/lib/libkded_kssld.so: Undefined
            symbol "__ti10KDEDModule" (reloc type = 1, symnum = 145)
        DCOP failure in app kded:
            object 'kssld' has no function
            'cacheGetPolicyByCertificate(KSSLCertificate)'

    Trying to "continue" and "accept forever" continues, but does not
    seem to store the certificate, so the errors keep popping up (so
    to speak!).

  - I can't hear the output of the CD player (kscd).  Its control
    panel pops up, it clearly reads the CD and shows the tracks, and
    playing or switching tracks cause the CD drive to show activity.
    I can even get the track titles from the public database.  No
    sound to my headphones, though.  I *can* hear the "sound test"
    when I click on the "kcontrol / Sound / Sound Server / Test Sound"
    button (after starting artsd), and I can hear a .wav file played
    with "artsplay" (well, sometimes; other times, artsd dumps core).

  - I can't print; I get complaints that "kdeprintd" cannot be
    contacted, no matter whether I try printing with an external
    program (lpr -Pps), or with the "lpd" or "lpr" options.  (At least
    I can print to a file).

    This is spewed:

        object 'kdeprintd' has no function 'print(QString,QStringList,bool)'

When I add all this to the pain of compiling the thing (I tried to
persuade it to use the system's openssl despite the version, eventually
gave up and installed a new openssl from pkg, resulting in several
multi-hour recompiles), the fact that it spews debugging output like
mad, and the lack of technical detail in a lot of the documentation,
I am starting to get discouraged.  I am starting to seriously wonder
whether this is production-ready software, or whether I did something
weird while compiling it (I doubt it; I ended up letting it compile
exactly as the pkg wanted).  So...

  * Does anyone have kde 2.2.2 working correctly under 1.5.2,
    including the items I mention above?

  * Would it make more sense to try version 1?

  * Is there a better web browser out there than konqueror?  (I use
    lynx quite often, but some pages do need the tables and graphics;
    I appreciate the per-site configurability of Konqueror, especially
    for security-sensitive items.)

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Analyst, IITS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne@alcor.concordia.ca                                        +1 514 848-7606