Subject: Re: OpenOffice available for NetBSD
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2002 12:13:55
On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 02:18:43AM -0500, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > It would probably not be a bad idea to let people know that the distfile
> > for this (well, the bigger of the distfiles) is > 100MB big, and that
> > to compile it, some huge amount of space is required (my attempt failed
> > after using > 1.2 GB in /usr/obj when the filesystem filled - and that
> > was after all pre-requisites were installed and cleaned up).
>
> > The thing makes teTeX, openmotif and mozilla look like beginners toys...
>
> > kre
>
> Thanks for the warning!  Open Office or Star Office would be too much to
> download on a 56K dialup connection.  Does the FTP server drop a user after a
> certain connect time limit?
>
> I guess Emacs 21.x and Xemacs would also be beginner's toys by comparison.

The other footprint to be aware of is the memory footprint.  When it
starts up and you have a blank page ready and waiting, top reports a
memory footprint of 62M.  After using it a while I've seen its memory
footprint grow to 105M.  And I haven't even touched any of the OpenGL
graphing functions.

Good thing memory is cheap.

jf
--