Subject: Re: IP: Wal-Mart PC, Operating System *Not* Included: $399 (fwd)
To: Zach Fine , paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
From: Sean Witham <sean.witham@webscreen-technology.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2002 11:47:29
On Thursday 21 Feb 2002 9:37 pm, Zach Fine wrote:

> We won't see that at all, it's a lot easier than you think to
> install Windows. Installing WindowsXP on a few PCs I recently built
> worked like clockwork. With almost no input from the user the XP
> installer set up and configured the graphics card, sound hardware,
> network interface, installed a bunch of programs and a desktop, and
> created a few user accounts. They've worked flawlessly since. I
> love NetBSD and have been running it since version 1.2, but I think
> as regards ease of installation we shouldn't be throwing any
> stones.

Having said that a recent magazine article compared WIndows XP and
various Linux distributions and found they all did well, installing
with ease BUT the only installation that handled everything without a
flaw was indeed Mandrake Linux and not Windows. I can't recall what
the issue was the Windows failed to deal with. I know what most of
the Linux distributions failed to handle was the ATA drive installed
in cable select mode.

--Sean