Subject: Re: IP: Wal-Mart PC, Operating System *Not* Included: $399 (fwd)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian P.Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/21/2002 19:37:21
On Thursday, February 21, 2002, at 07:26 PM, David Laight wrote:

>> We won't see that at all, it's a lot easier than you think to install
>> Windows.
>
> I installed win98 at work (on a sytem for home that had been delivered
> there) a couple of years ago.  The chaps who had done it before had a
> sweep going for the number of times I would curse it....
>
> I still dpn't believe the nuber of reboots necessary, not the fact
> that is won't install on a blank disk! (you have to run fdisk by
> hand!)
>
> 	David
>
> --
> David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk

	O.K., I can't resist this topic.  I had an Abit BP-6 mobo based
system.  All the rest of the components had driver disks for Windows
98SE, the Windows I was attempting to install.  After installing the
system, I would attempt to add my modem through Add\Remove Hardware.
The system would blue screen.  You couldn't use this option of
installing any new hardware as it would blue screen every time.  I
wasted three hours on the phone with MS tech support and the tech
couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.  He said  either my hardware
was faulty or it wasn't supported by Microsoft Windows 98SE.  I told him
that the hardware worked fine with Free, Open, and Net BSD, as well and
RedHat and Debian GNU/Linux.  Heck at one time I even had Solaris 7
Intel on the box.  The man was out of excuses at that time and told me
there was nothing he could do for me.
	I was pissed.  Unlike my friends who pirate software, I bought a
legal copy of Windows 98SE.  I now was stuck with it and couldn't use
it.  I couldn't sell it on ebay because I didn't have all the
packaging.  I eventually sold it to my brother for half what I paid up
front.
	I will never purchase, or unless I am forced at gunpoint, use
another Microsoft product as long as I live.

Ian

Of course it runs NetBSD
www.netbsd.org