Subject: Re: [OT]: ISP cut-off?! (was: Re: OpenOffice available for NetBSD)
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/21/2002 18:35:39
> In the last couple of years some ISPs have introduced a service
> where you pay a fixed amount that includes call charges.  It is
> possible that they actually have to pay the telco bye the minute!
> In any case, because of the 'contention ratio' (number of subscribers
> per modem) they disconnect you after 2 hours (even if they aren't busy)
> in order to give other subscribers a chance.

There are some UK ISPs without restrictions like this. Not many I'll grant
you. If you are stuck like this manually fetching the distfile using get and
reget should make it possible.

> Unfortunately we have to live with it - or pay a lot more...

Depends what you call a lot. I think I end up paying about 6ukp a month more
for an ISP without this restriction than for one with it.

Mike