Subject: Re: [OT]: ISP cut-off?! (was: Re: OpenOffice available for NetBSD)
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/20/2002 21:29:45
> > If you are willing to pay that you can
> > stay online for as lomg as you want....
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I do. I'll admit it gets costly quickly. ;-)
>
> I've never heard of people getting disconnected before though.
> I guess Swedish ISPs just have less subscriber/modem so contention
> ratio never became a big problem (apart from the occasional busy tone).

That is probably because they get a cut of the phone call charge.
So the longer you are online, the more money they get.  It doesn't
then really matter whether 1 customer on online all the time or
whether lots of people are online for a short time.
With fixed price connections they need to have a moderate
number of users per possible connection in order to make money.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk