Subject: [OT]: ISP cut-off?! (was: Re: OpenOffice available for NetBSD)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: ali \(Anders Lindgren\) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/20/2002 20:07:06
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, David Talmage wrote:

> --- David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:
[snip some]
> > Otherwise it is impossible to download over a 56k modem if
> > your ISP cuts you off after 2 hours - not unusual in the UK.
>
> You can use wget for that.  Put this in /etc/mk.conf:
>
> FETCH_CMD=     /usr/pkg/bin/wget
>
> When your ISP cuts you off,
[..snip]

Hrrm. As a non-UKanian, I must admit to staring boggled in front
of me at this. What possible motivation could they have for such
an idiotic practice?! I frequently sit online for hours working
on stuff at uni or the computer club. Any ISP that tried tricks like that
would lose my money within a business day. Is it one of those
"customers should just pr0n-surf for two hours and then disconnect
 so they won't drain our limited, over-utilised pool of IP-addresses"
policies? I am baffled. :)

--
/ali "and I thought Swedish ISPs sucked oil-tankers through straws"
:wq