Subject: Re: Navigator 4.78 in Japanese
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/18/2002 17:51:32
On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 10:56:15PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> I have now tried to switch to Mozilla five or six times, and every
> time it's too big, too slow, eats up too much screen real-estate,

On this one point: did you compile it yourself?  I had slowness problems
with Mozilla as well until I finally figured out how to compile it
without all the debug cruft.  After that it performed quite well (at
least on my Athlon 750/256M running Linux).

Fwiw I used:

--enable-optimize=-O2 --enable-crypto --disable-tests --disable-debug

(along with some other options for prefix and so on)

> and still won't render things in a readable manner than Netscape

When was the last time you've tried it out?  It's at 0.9.8 now, I've
seen considerable improvements with every release since I've used it
regularly (starting at around 0.9.2 I think).