Subject: Re: Navigator 4.78 in Japanese
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/18/2002 22:56:15
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> You need 1) Linux locale support (emulators/linux-locale), and 2)
> appropriate X resource setting.

Well, I get the impression that there's more to it than this. The
English instructions at

    http://www.twics.com/~craig/writings/linux-nihongo/node62.html

indicate that you need to build a new shared library and put it in
the LD_PRELOAD environment variable before starting Netscape. How
one would do this under NetBSD I have no idea. Also, it doesn't
help that the English instructions explain nowhere how to find this
mysterious tar file full of goodies, and the Japanese site it mentions

    http://www.bpel.tutics.tut.ac.jp/~take/Netscape/

doesn't seem to have this file on it. At least I can't find it.

This is starting to turn into a bit of a desperate situation for
me, since I am reaching the point at consulting jobs where I can
no longer use NetBSD, having to boot into Windows instead. Needless
to say, this makes me extremely unhappy....

> However, it's not easy. I once gave up it some time ago. Now I don't
> need it because I use w3m and Mozilla...

I have now tried to switch to Mozilla five or six times, and every
time it's too big, too slow, eats up too much screen real-estate,
and still won't render things in a readable manner than Netscape
4 will. (Yes, I know; this is because the web pages are broken,
but I still can't read them.) So I'm not really anxious to try this
yet again.

cjs